Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Continued Progress, Part Tres!

I woke up early this morning with the intent on finding something I could use to color the walls of the Miner rooms!! I thought about it all last nite as I went to bed. I figured I could use wallpaper, since it might be impossible to find the paint for the walls...So, Sara and I left the house just a bit after 9am, ate breakfast uptown and headed to our local craft store! Sadly, the craft store wasn't open til' 10am-_-; So, I decided that we'd go to Kmart and check to see if I could find paint or contact paper, something!!

But no luck, the closest I found was a dark wood color contact paper, a bit too dark for what I needed, and it was already almost 11am! My last resort was to go to Home Depot. I had gone there just Monday, looking for paint, but didn't find any, because I was in such a rush.

So, this time, I took my time and while walking up and down a few isles, I came across the section where they had contact paper! Sure enough they had a lighter wood print then the "dark tropical" wood print I saw at Kmart. So I placed that baby in my cart. Then as I worked my way down, I was looking for an isle that had wallpaper, but ended up at the spray paint section instead. I was in that same isle Monday, I didn't notice that there were some lovely colored Rust Oleum spray paints in satin colors that would work perfectly for the rooms! So, as I browsed, I read the labels, and it said that it was good for wood, metal, and plastic. So, I decided on three colors, green apple, summer squash, and lagoon. I figured, I could test it out on the extra cut outs to see if the mdf boards could take the paint or not?

As soon as I got home I tested them out!! To my surprise and content, it worked only on the side in white, the other side, would only soak the paint and leave a lot of blotchy areas. So, the idea came that I could paint the white side, and use the wood contact paper on the other!! You see, at first, I was going to paint one side, one color and the other a different, but I guess it worked the way the original walls actually looked, one side painted the other in the wood decor!! But I would need to get another set for the living room later on...oh well.

 I spray coated the walls twice, and sure enough it turned out lovely! As you can see above, the inside walls are green and the outside walls in wood.

 I love that it turned out great and with the matching colors too. The bedroom is almost complete, just missing the tiny typewriter!!


 I took a closeup shot of the tiny vase with the dried flowers. I need to find a larger white vase for each of the rooms.
 Above, the completed dining room set. The summer squash is beautiful and just like the original photo of this room!


 My candle holders are in gold, not like the white one's in the original set, but they still look lovely, and I found them in 1:24 scale too! So, I am not complaining. I do need candles though...LOL!
 I flip the bedroom walls and used the wood color side for the living room set. A bit darker than the original, but not bad I must say. I am a very happy camper today!! It all fell into place...Yay, me!!


 More shots of the living room above and below. If you look carefully you can see that the fabric for the pillows on the sofa is a bit off! I may redo them just so they'd match the sofa better!

If you ever get a chance to find yourself a rooms in miniature set. You will instantly fall in love! I know I have! It's been fun trying to find things to replace those that are missing in each of the rooms!

more soon!

Thanks for reading! - ggsdolls

No comments:

Post a Comment