Friday, January 6, 2017

My First Rushton!

Okay, I've been bitten by the Rushton bug, as of late. I was finally able to acquire a Rushton Toy Company Star Creation Bunny! Yay!

He is actually a Christmas gift to myself. I have seen many collections of vintage dolls & toys showcasing their lovely plush Rushton's and I've always wanted one for some time, but never really got around to buying one. Sadly, now I wish I had much sooner.

These plushies are expensive, and are just as popular as Blythe?! Which I am not surprised about, because the same doll collectors I know of, own a Blythe and also a Rushton. So, this definitely means the market for secondary finds, will have crazy prices too. Ugh.

According to Reference.com:

"According to Atlanta Antique Gallery, the Rushton Toy Company was a toy company founded by native Atlantan Mary Rushton in 1917. The company was a family-owned and -run business, and Mary's daughter, Wight Rushton, designed all of the toys. The company was in business until 1983.
The Rushton Toy Company had two majorly successful toy products, the At-Play toy line and hand-painted, rubber-faced dolls and animals.

The At-Play toys were made with plush rayon material, and the stuffing consisted of high-quality cotton. Unique details made the plush toys stand out. The dolls had hand-embroidered noses, felt tongues and sewn-in eyes. The trademark of the dolls was large satin bows.
The rubber-faced dolls were one of the most popular selling items for Rushton Toy Company. They were manufactured in the 1950s and 60s and have become expensive collector's items. A variety of Rushton plush animals and rubber-faced dolls can be viewed on Pinterest, and according to Miss Bargain Huntress, many Rushton Toy Company items can be found for sale on eBay."

 If you try to search up any info. online there isn't much. Not even aWikipedia page?! What? Oh well. These plush animals, can be scary looking or cute as a button, depending on your particular taste. For me there are certain one's I don't have to guts to own, because they look a bit creepy to me. But, that's just me. LOL

 Mine traveled a short distance from Japan, seller's photo and then my photo after cleanup. I made his blue vest with ribbon, using felt and white buttons instead of the gold one's. He really needed a bath, but I'm too afraid he will get ruined. So, I just wiped him down. He was definitely loved a lot, the wire in his ears is broken on one side, and he has a hole I will need to sew. I can't complain, because I found him for a bargain, than trying at a bidding war on ebay... Whew!
 The seller even drew this adorable note! A sweet bunny. He will be a great addition to my recent growing plushy collection.


A quick share, I also found these cute bear birthday invitations from the Goody Store. I have one other, and now this plaid bear.
 Just too cute.
My favorite vintage plushies...

Thanks for looking! ~ ggsdolls

6 comments:

  1. Your furry friends are adorable! What fun! I have only just peeked into this world as I get ready for the arrival of my first grandchild. Oh my. I have already acquired a most delightful Rushton carnival type elf with pink hair. Irresistible! But your yellow bunny has such a cute expression.
    Thanks for sharing, and I hope your luck continues. Whimsy is a great place to hang out. 🤩🤩🤩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear FM, thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed my post and sweet bunny. He still lives with me too! I hope the same for you! Enjoy dear! Many hugs, Gigi

      Delete
  2. Would u ever sell your yellow bunny rushton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear, I doubt I will any time soon. Hugs, Gigi

      Delete
  3. where did you purchase these beautiful dolls, I had my eye on one but there worth so much money, did you perhaps buy them in a store or did you order them online?? xxx Meru!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Meru, Thank you so much. Yes, they are expensive. You can find them online. Just look carefully. Hugs, Gigi

      Delete