Thursday, February 28, 2019

VTG Rushton Chubby Tubby Bear

 "Chubby Tubby" 
Irresistable...adorable!
No home complete without Chubby!
THOUSANDS clamoring for him...
Now ready to ride from coast to coast...
bringing lovable little "CHUBS" and
"CHERUB CUBS" with him!

 This 1950s vintage Rushton Chubby Tubby, has a story to share. First, I found him via Ebay and was able to snag him for a good price. He took about a month to get to me, ugh. Never fun, but I was very glad to see him in the mail Yesterday. I opened up the package and the seller had him in one of those clear vinyl comforter zipper reusable packaging. Definitely helps it to ship lighter. Never thought of using that type of container to ship with. He was definitely well loved, and inside with him was a hot pink sticky note, with cursive writing on it. I kept it on the dresser, while I looked him over and started to work on him. He definitely needed a wash. So, at first, I decided to try to wash him with his stuffing... Nope. He was too wide and chubby to fit inside. Next, I decided to unstuff him. It was about two and a half loads of stuffing in a 20 gallon trash bags. Oh my, I washed him and he came out all nice and clean. Some areas needed a bit of sewing and definitely a touch up on his face. I could tell that the previous owner painted his eyes.
 He was well loved and while waiting for him to dry, then restuff him, and finally touch up his face paint. I read the pink sticky note...

Written on it was this, "My name is "Teddy". I was born December 4, 1954, in Wichita Falls, Texas. I was given to Betty J. Hays, on her 19th Birthday."


 The seller had added a red double bow ribbon and I just kept it on him. I did have to sew two areas that had openings. He was restuffed with lighter cotton stuffing. I'm so glad that the black on his fur didn't bleed into his ears or tummy. Now, he's ready to be adopted and continue to be loved by his new owner! Find him in my shop soon!

Thank you for reading! ~ ggsdolls

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this story on your vintage Rushton Chubby Tubby Bear. My brother got his in 1955, Phoenix, AZ. I love old Teddy Bears.

    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear George, thank you so much for reading! I am glad you enjoyed this post. Take care and stay safe and well, Gigi

      Delete
  2. This looks just like my mom's bear but her's is brown. All of the ones I am seeing online are black. She passed away a few years ago and I am not sure what to do with it. Is there any value in them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Heidi,
      Thank you so much for your comment. Oh my you have a rare one!! Email me and I will give you all the details. I'm truly sorry to hear of her passing dear. May she rest in peace. Sending you many hugs, Gigi If you want you can email me at ggsdolls@gmail

      Delete