Friday, November 25, 2016

The Next Best Thing!

These highly sought after vintage ceramic figurines amongst collectors...

Photo is not mine, but Sofia from flickr.

... are very hard to find, and if you are fortunate enough to get your hands on them. Lucky you! I only got into vintage ceramics earlier this year and since then, these cuties are just that hard to find. I did however come across, these cheesy vintage flocked plastic ones on etsy. If you look closely, their stance is similar to these ceramic deer. So, I decided to try something out...

 Seller's photo. Purchased from etsy.

I took off the mistletoe and googly eyes, and bells.
 I tried painting over the flocking, but that did not work out so well. So, I removed the flocking altogether...
 Spray painted them white, and the past day or so, worked on painting details on them. In the end, this is what I was able to create. Though, now that I think on it a bit more, I should've painted the Doe's eyes closed. That would've been better. Darn.
 But, still they turned out nice. The Buck looks a bit more like the original ceramic ones.

 It was fun to try to re-create them. For now, these will be the closest to owning a set.
While working on the fawns, I received this amazing Macoto Takahashi tin filled with chocolate krispies. Inside, you also get a postcard too. Cool!

 I will definitely be using the tin for vintage or doll related items... Very nostalgic.

Thanks for reading! ~ ggsdolls

2 comments:

  1. I learned about Macoto Takahashi from someone who customized their dolls with Macoto Takahashi eyes. I mean, look at the eye details! They're lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes dear! That is also why his works are very popular. I've seen Blythe be customized to have Macoto style eyes.

      Delete