Saturday, August 24, 2019

VTG Rushton Octopus Plush!

I was recently smitten by a plush rubber face octopus by Rushton. I figured I would probably never get a chance to own one. Low and behold, I was able to adopt one! Yay! This rare, vintage and unique 50’S RUSHTON rubber head Water Baby OCTOPUS plush was originally sold at MarineLand as a part of their Water Babies collection. It has an adorable hand painted rubber face with the most delightful expression, retro light yellow, plush body and pink tentacle underside. He is dressed as a sailor with his white Sailor's hat. But, sadly missing his black tie.
 Upon inspection of the plush, he was well loved and a bit dingy. He definitely needed a bath. So, I removed his white felt collar. I placed him in the wash and after, let him line dry. After he was dried off. I tried my best to move his stuffing around, but I may need to replace his stuffing. Next, I worked on his collar and took the original collar and cut out a new one, from a similar white felt. It was sewn on, and last, found a black satin ribbon to replaced his missing tie. What do you think?



Just a bit of History on Rushtons... "Rushton's dolls were made of the best materials. Rayon, plush and cotton stuffed with top grade products. Rushton made hand painted, rubber dolls and rubber faced animals from the 1950's until the 1960's. It was one of Rushton's most popular toy lines and consisted of many different toy stuffed Bunnies, monkeys, Rushton Santa, cats, ducks and other animals and figures with rubber faces."

 Next, I also received this Mint in Package craft rubber face puppy. I have plans for him, so more later.

 Have a great weekend fellow collectors!

Thank you for looking! ~ ggsdolls

6 comments:

  1. He's unique! It isn't every day one sees a stuffed octopus! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you dear! He is and you are so right, no often! Many hugs, Gigi

      Delete
  2. My dream boy :( I wish I could have one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Leah, I hope you do find one dear! Hugs, Gigi

      Delete
  3. He is adorable!! You are sooooo LUCKY!!
    Green is a prettt version. I want one so bad,, any color, mostly the red one lol, too bad they are so hard to find.

    ReplyDelete