Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Partial Solar Eclipse Seen on Guam!

This is actually my third time seeing a solar eclipse, but this one was a partial, and not a full eclipse. Guam has been very fortunate the passed several years to be able to view any type of Solar Eclipse. I actually viewed one with my students back in the late 1990s. We did the whole making a pinhole in a box, and reflected it upon a white board or paper. It was awesome!

But a few years later, I was at home with my in-laws and when another solar eclipse was happening, we went out to the carport at the time, and my mother in-law's car had shadows of the eclipse reflected off her white car from a tree nearby! I was oh cool, a tree could be a filter?!

So, this time around, I just took a piece of white paper and went outside with my phone, and found a tree directly under the sun! Sure enough, it filtered the action before my eyes! Here are some shots of the whole event!

In order to make this work, you need to be in an area that is not too breezy, direct sun light is showing through the tree branches, and leaves. Never look directly at the sun. It can be very harmful to your eyes.

 I found a great spot under a lemon tree! As you shift the paper around to allow the sunlight to fall onto it from under that tree, you will start to see round objects, that's the sun!
 Above: my shot at the beginning of the partial solar eclipse, about 10:35am. You can see that the moon is just beginning to move in front of the sun.

Below: about 11am position.

 Above: At about 11:30am position.
 Finally at about 11:51am, the moon is at its peak or climax in front of the sun. It is always neat to look around the yard... It's like the world has shades on, because of the moon, its shady without clouds causing it!
Just one more shot of all the filters from the tree, showing off many partial solar eclipses...
Give it a try the next time there is a solar eclipse in your area!

My husband's shot here!

Thanks for reading! ~ ggsdolls

No comments:

Post a Comment