Thursday, September 21, 2017

Out of Sight, Out of Mind, NOT!

I've been containing myself from wanting to say anything more on North Korea's threats towards Guam and the USA. But, this is truly getting me just plain ticked off!

Since my post back on August, here. Life on Guam has been continuing on, etc. But, it has gotten worse as far as our tourism or should I say the lack of. Let me be specific, the people of Guam of course are concerned should there be a missile strike against us. But, even with the so called, "Preparedness Steps". We know, in the event of a missile strike, there is not much we can do to protect ourselves here on this small island. It is almost laughable that Homeland Security put out such a notice. This is nothing like a Typhoon, and many have voiced that. You can't board up your house or cover your windows to keep any type of fallout from coming in. Concrete or not, it will still come in.

Anyhow, my post is more so on my fellow Japanese friends and tourists. It's truly upsetting to me, to see many Japanese tourists have cancelled any an all trips to our island. Adding more irony to this, was when Trump said to our governor, Calvo, "Your tourism will grow 10 fold, because of this!" Trump just may have, jinxed it for us?! I mean seriously.

It started with a private message from one of our family friends from Japan, that usually book with us for Christmas vacation, suddenly they won't be able come because of "other" reasons. Then, in early September, students from Japan, cancelled coming out here, and there were quite a few that come for our student exchange programs, every year. Now, little to no inquiries for our Airbnb guest house, with the exceptions of South Korean tourists and a few Stateside. I've had one couple in S. Korea ask me, "What are the feelings of the people on Guam? with the threats that North Korea has given?" I told her honestly, we are concerned, but we can't live life in fear. She was happy to hear that from me. That tenant came with her husband, enjoyed their short vacation, and left. No, there was no missile strike, and no, she didn't die coming to visit, and enjoy her trip here on Guam!

People don't realize how important tourism is to our economy. It is already affecting us and soon, the effects will be much worse... The other day, my husband, Taby and I were at IHOP eating lunch. I swear, there was only like 2 families and a couple, inside the restaurant eating and it was lunch time?! Generally, one of the busiest times of the day! I see more of the same when I drive past Inarajan Pool, generally large crowds of tourists walking around, swimming, and enjoying the park. Now, hardly any one there...

(This morning as I waited for Sara to catch the bus. A rainbow above our street, Tongan Way, Inarajan. I truly believe, that God shows us the beauty and goodness in the world, if we choose to look for it.)

To my fellow Japanese friends, and tourists. Please know that if you decide to live your life in fear of the things that might happen, then you are living a life afraid of everything. The irony is that you have North Korea shooting missiles over your heads into the Pacific Ocean, and you are worried that Guam might not be able to protect you, while you are here. To me, it seems like this is your thinking, "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" or "As long as Japan is not threaten, we are fine", mentality. And that is just disturbing, to me. North Korean shooting a missile anywhere will affect, not just the place it is aimed at, but all of us, one way or another.

The only way this may stop, is we don't allow North Korea or Trump's threats make us do exactly what North Korea wants, a war. So, please don't be afraid, come to Guam, visit, shop, enjoy what the island has to offer you, eat at IHOP. Trust me, you are probably more so safe here on this small island, then the South Koreans are, living right next door to them, and they've been hearing the threats from North Korea for a lot longer than we have!
(The same rainbow, above Tonggan Guest House, this morning!)

Thank you for listening to my rant! ~ ggsdolls

2 comments:

  1. I am always saddened to realize that without flawed leadership, there would be no war. In this case, two egomaniacs are having a pi$$ing contest that can (and has from the sounds of your situation) affect people who have no control over the situation, and no desire to go to war with anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again Ronda, I agree with you completely. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. many hugs from your friend on Guam, Gigi

      Delete