Thursday, September 8, 2022

Nod by Mary Rushton!!

 I've spoken about 'The Yawnies' by Rushton before in previous posts on my blog. The last time I did, I had the cat, called "Winkin". He is long gone and sold to a dear fellow collector friend of mine and I can enjoy seeing him being happy with her from her photos. This time, while doing my usual searches. I found a baby plush, that I thought looked familiar and so I bidded on him and won the auction. When he arrived to me. I immediately began to restore him.

I knew he looked familar, but I didn't want to convince myself that he was who I thought he might be until after I was done working on him. So, I began with removal of his stuffing, which by the way was similar to the other Yawnies, a sponge filler that had crusted and become hard. Which eventually would become sand and dust. So, I first began removing his pajamas...

As I began to cut and remove the tattered pink pajamas, I noticed a light blue cloth underneath. As I slowly removed the top layer, it dawned on me that I had exactly what I thought he was... Nod of the Yawnies! Yup, that's right Winkin, Blinkin & Nod!! I was so thrilled, but was his pajamas able to be salvaged?! That was the question I posed to myself. No tag was present, but he does have the Rushton Co. stamp on the back side of his neck, and his pajama buttons were sewn on the pink pjs. So, after removing all the stuffing and the pink pjs. I took Nod, and had him washed twice! Nod was okay, but sadly, all the washing had ripped his pajamas to shreds on both of his arms. Ugh.

 

I decided, I would try to sew him up and slowly, I began. It was a 2 day process. I ended up having to sew his right arm twice. Because the first time I did stitching on the outside and should've done it on the inside. I also had to sew some areas that the pajamas had holes in. His pjs were not as fresh as I would've liked them to be. But, it was better than nothing. I took the buttons and had them sewn onto his blue pjs. I just need to make him a collar. So for now, there is a white satin bow, until I can locate fabric to match his pjs. I repainted his face and hair. I may decide to darken, his blonde hair a bit. Only because it makes his face look like he has a tan.



Remnants of his Rushton tag above. Now Nod, is ready to be loved again. He will live with me for a bit longer. I just love his eyelashes and cute sweet yawning face. I also restored this adorable sleepy Rushton Co. rabbit. She arrived to me in poor shape and just like Nod here, she had the same sponge filler. I removed that and replaced it will cotton batting. Put back together, I touched up her face. She was adopted last week by the same collector friend who owns Winkin! She was just too cute! But, I am happy to make these otherwise thought of as 'trash' plushies, like somewhat new and to be enjoyed for more years to come!


Next, I received some merch for my shop over the past weekend. These adorable poodle Swimmer brand head or hat stands. One in pink and one in blue. Both are unused and still mint in box. They are already listed in my shop and great to display your hats, head phones, and other items. The base even has a place for your shades, glasses or jewelry!

This adorable Rushton Co. Caterpillar just needed a good wash! He too is already listed in my shop for adoption. Big plastic eyes and a green hat. He dings with all his bells along his body. I also bought this lot of Merry Maid sprinkler bottles. The red and white ones are already listed in my shop. All in lovely condition too! Some tote bags with cute adorable animals on them as well. Don't they remind you of Meyercord decals?! All listed in my shop. They make great totes to carry little friends along with you as you go about your day! I am so tempted to keep a few as well!!




And last, this lovely Vtg Crinolin Lady powder box. I added a puff pad in her. She came to me all faded with some surface wear as well and I was able to repaint her. They come in blue or pink. Sadly, they can be costly. But this one I found for a decent price! Yay me! Now, to find a spot for her. Ha!

Well, that's all for now and I hope you all had a decent week! Soon to be weekend!

Thank you for reading! ~ ggsdolls

2 comments:

  1. Baby Nod is a cutie!! I think his tan looks good! His little yawning face is so unique and sweet! And also CATiPiLLaR!?!? She's awesome :)) vibrant! And fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nod is one of my faves and thank you so much. I actually redid his hair and toned it down. I haven't shown an update on here I don't think?! LOL

      Delete