Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Interview with Amanitarium

 Interview with a Collector - A ggsdolls blog Series

    A monthly series on my blog where I feature some of the most amazing collectors, sellers, and content creators that have become really good friends of mine and what they collect and why? Read on to learn more...

    For the month of July, my blog interview is with the amazing and talented artist, designer and seller, Anna of Amaniterium on Instagram. On Tiktok you can find her under the name amanitarium_arts, and her shop on Etsy! Anna resides in England for the last 8 years. 

How did you encounter Kitsch and do you collect anything else?  

Anna:   I used to collect different kinds of dolls such as BJDs, Monster High, Licca and bisque dolls. I often came across some pictures online of how various arts were changing their make-up, hair and even body parts and this is something I got really into, which eventually led me to creating my own dolls and accessories with doll parts. I discovered vintage kitsch later on as there has often been an overlap with doll collectors community and it has become one of my biggest sources of inspiration for up until today.

How do you describe your relationship with your art and what keep you interested or inspired by it?

Anna:   In my work, I combine nostalgia, retro, childhood memories, as well as references to Shoujo and Kawaii culture with all it's dreaminess and charm! The quality of materials I use is very important to me and I spend a tremendous amount of time looking through fabric stores and online shops to find the softest and fluffiest fur fabrics which are nice to the touch, making my plushies not just decorative pieces of art but also comfort items.

 What is it about the vintage cute kitsch aesthetic that distinguishes it from other toys/novelties of the same time? 

Anna:   It's the combination of cute whimsical features and sometimes a tiny drop of uncanniness, which I absolutely love. Mary Rushton's toys especially, since they are particularly different and tend to stand out a lot from other mass produced toys with their expressive sentimental faces, making them so special and darling.

Tell me a bit about your art, how it started, and how it has evolved?

Anna:   I've always enjoyed drawing, painting and decorative crafts, however my passion for dolls has really pushed me to take my art to the sculpture medium. At first, my dolls and accessories were only human-like but later on, as I evolved as an artist and started learning more about vintage kitsch, I started making work inspired by vintage toys, too.

 What has been the reaction of your family, friends or colleagues to your passion for cute kitsch?

Anna:   At first, they were pretty confused. The reaction wasn't negative, but perhaps not as supporting as I'd hope. My parents just couldn't take this idea seriously and insisted that I should find a job in the industry I got my degree in. The concept of managing your own small business as an artist, especially in a pretty unconventional niche, seemed like a strange idea to them. Perhaps because of the culture as well as the times they grew in. Over the time, however they became very open to it and now they feel so happy about me. Seeing how well this is going and how thriving our community is! When I get to see my Mom, she even helps me sometimes with things like tack stitching and fabric cutting.

Tell me about your favorite project and why is it so special to you?

Anna:   There isn't one, as I put lots of love into every piece I make. As an artist, it's very important to do it for the process and not just the outcome. This is why I don't get attached to any particular pieces and feel really happy when my little creations find their loving homes. There are some aspects of my work which are my favorite, such as adding shine/gloss and assembling the plush parts together seeing them come to life!

As a seller, how do you describe your items to someone who doesn't shop online?

Anna:    Dolls and accessories inspired by vintage kitsch, childhood memories, as well as 'kawaii' and other alternative styles.

Tell me about the most unique item you have made?

Anna:    Most of my plushies are bunnies, bears, and lambs. However I've had some pretty unusual custom orders too, such as monkeys and even a caterpillar!

 Have you noticed an increase in demand for the vintage kitsch in the last few years, why do you think that is so?

Anna:   The raise of different aesthetics on social media has definitely played a big part in their popularity. Especially among the younger people. I've also noticed a particular increase during COVID outbreak. Since collecting is a perfect hobby if you stay home a lot.

Is there anything else about your experience that you'd like to add?

Anna:   I'm very happy to be a part of such a wonderful community of plush artists and collectors who truly appreciate items that are rare, unique or custom made, and I'm forever grateful to my friends and customers for the opportunity to do what I truly love doing most!

@amanitarium_arts made a new melanie martinez doll! @Melanie Martinez 🖤✨ #melaniemartinez #mm3 #portals #melaniemartinezdoll #handmadeplush #melaniemartinezportals #earthlingsmelaniemartinez ♬ VOID - 𝕷•𝖊•𝖓•𝖏•𝖆🎶

A beautiful segue into concluding this lovely interview with a beautiful person and artist! We love you Anna! Until next month when we head back to USA with another dear collector!

Thank you for reading! ~ ggsdolls

No comments:

Post a Comment