Monday, February 4, 2019

VTG Chapi Chapo Dolls!!

 Growing up in the 70s, I used to watch the children's TV show "Pinwheel", on Nickelodeon. One of my favorite shows that played within Pinwheel was called, "Chapi Chapo". I loved stop-motion and these video shorts were just fun. Of course these characters didn't speak often, which made it hard for me to understand, especially since I didn't speak French. But from watching the show, I used make it a game to figure out what it was these characters were trying to solve on their own. It was fun and so cute along with their singing at the beginning of the show and at the end! Fast forward to 2000, when I started finding more dolls online, Chapi Chapo dolls were one of my ISOs, but because they are rare or when up for auction can costs quite a lot of money. Even the ceramic figurine versions are just as expensive. So for a long time, I just passed on ever buying them. Until recently, a fellow collector shared with me, that a museum curator was thinking about selling his set. I was so tempted. I eventually decided on not getting them. A few months later, I discovered a set on Ebay France, up for sale. I messaged the seller and she allowed me to use Buy It Now. They arrived so quickly to me and here they are!!
 These cuties were a lot more cheaper then the usual prices, so no complaints here! A bit of cleaning needed, and a patch here and there, along with a bit of paint touch up, and Tada!! Their hats are bent and can't hold their shape, but still a lovely piece of my childhood history come life... These dolls are made by Clodrey 1975, France. They measure about 9 inches tall with their hats. Chapi is the girl in red, and she has yellow yarn hair, and Chapo is the boy in blue, also with yellow yarn hair. Their bodies are soft with pellets inside, that I can feel, as compared to the usual cloth stuffing. Their heads are hard plastic. I love their buttons, just like their TV puppet counterparts, Clodrey made sure to create them as close as possible.


 It's almost as if they walked off the TV screen! I will definitely be enjoying them, while they are with me... Ahhh, the memories!
 Here is their theme song, that played at the beginning. Do you recall them?

Thank you for listening! ~ ggsdolls

No comments:

Post a Comment