Monday, June 28, 2021

Look at This Restoration!!

 I recently won this vintage plush that was dingy and the rubber face has already started to turn dark. But, it was a plush that I've been searching for, because of this lovely vintage baby gift card I found...

First, let me show you the card that inspired me to find the plush! I found this lovely vintage baby gift card while doing my usual searches, and what caught my eye was the adorable plush on it. It's a Gund bunny with sleep eyes! He's just too cute. These Gund plushies are very hard to find and when you do find them they can sell for a lot. I have not seen any for a little over a year and just a week ago, one shows up. I bidded, won and I knew he would need a lot of work... I told myself I could do it, not knowing whether I could restore him or not...


I didn't take a before photo myself, so the one above is borrowed. This guy was filthy dirty, that he was gray and sadly his rubber face already had 'dark rubber' or plastic degradation disease. I knew that I may not find another for quite some time, so I decided to take on the task of trying to fix him. When I began, I immediately took out his stuffing and threw it out. I washed him first in the washer, and when he came out, well, he was not clean enough. He still had stains everywhere. So, I decided to hand wash him. Below, in cold water with a tide pod and some scent beads. I used a tooth brush and gently to somewhat vigorously, I scrubbed the areas that had stains on his fur. Afterwards, rinsed him, wrung him out and took him to the washer and use the drain n spin cycle to wring him out completely. Then, laid him out to dry.

While, he dried I worked on another plushie. By the afternoon, he was pretty much dry, so I restuffed him. After stuffing and sewing him up. I decided to work on his face. I cleaned his face with Mr. Clean Magic eraser. I thought to myself, "Do I want to just leave his rubber face as is or repaint it. I decided to repaint. It took several layers of paint, and in the end, I was pleased with the complexion. Next, I touched up his eyebrows, lips and added blush. After sealing, I replaced his satin pink ribbon jumper straps. Added wires to his ears and a satin bow around his neck in blue. He was done!





These were the other vintage plushies I worked on along with the bunny above. I received this lovely vintage DDR made in Germany pink and white bunny. I repainted his eyes, to make them less cat-like. I added some sunflower green buttons to his jumper and a pink dotted satin bow. He turned out lovely. I added him to my Etsy shop and was adopted and is already on his way to his new Mommy Stateside! Love when my vintage restored plushies get adopted. For me, it means they will continue to be loved by someone. That touches my heart.

I also got several pastel pink and baby blue tees done with adorable bunnies on them. They have already been added to my Etsy shop! They are great for your vintage Rushton, Gund or other plush bears, etc. to wear! Next, I ordered some adorable mod dolly fashions made by Matilda Pink! I knew they would fit my Francine doll too. Just love Diana's Mamzelle de Paris doll fashions so much!! They remind me of a time long gone. Then, I received this vintage Rushton sad bear. He needed to be restored as well.




He had his stuffing removed before wash, a restuff, repaint and I added a pink satin bow. He turned out lovely too! I will need to take photos of him with my Happy Bear as well! His fur is actually yellow and not the dingy white you see in the before pic. I also adopted another cutie made by Suiberry on IG. This time she made an Omar Rushton style mini. I couldn't resist getting one, and so he is just adorable along with my little mermaid dolly. Sui even added a few little gifts. Thank you again dear friend!!





Last for this post, is this lovely vintage ceramic pup, that I made into a furry pup! I used bubble gum pink fur on him. He has adorable big eyes and definitely a great candidate for furring. So, he turned out lovely and his pink colored fur is just yummy on him too! I almost made him purple!! Lucky I didn't!

Have a great week all, and try to keep cool no matter where you live!

Thank you for reading! ~ ggsdolls

No comments:

Post a Comment