Friday, March 25, 2022

Interview with angelsslaughter!

Interview with a Collector - ggsdolls blog Series    

    I decided to start something new on my blog and share some of the most amazing collectors, sellers, and creatives, that have become friends of mine on my blog and share with you what they collect and why?

    For my very first blog interview, I am talking with angelsslaughter on Instagram or commonly known as Alam.

    Alam is from the beautiful country of CDMX, Mexico. He is currently a student and 19 years old. His first vintage rubber face plush was found back in 2018, and it was a Mexican brown bear, lying down. He had already seen these types of bears on Tumblir and always wanted to find one, because it was an esthetic of Nicole Dollanganger and Mark Ryden. When he first looked the bear over, he realized that the bear was not a Rushton. I asked him if he collected anything else? "I also collect hair and teeth from people who are important to me, it's like having a small piece of them and a physical photograph of a special moment and their age." 

    Since Alam was very young he connected with things that were scary and at the same time things that are adorable. Stuffed animals are a mixture of both to him. This makes them more special because they represent his personality completely. What is it about the vintage cute kitsch aesthetic that distinguishes it from other novelties of the same era? "I consider it something very special and innocent, something that will never return." He first started collecting Mexican bootleg rubber faces and squeaks at the flea market in Mexico City. He loves pastel colors like pink and blue, and began surrounding himself in this color theme. He than began selling clothing on Instagram and started having enough income to purchase vintage stuffed animals and toys from the United States. These items were impossible to find in Mexico. So he was happy to be able to afford them and add them to his collection.

    It was always his dream to own an Edward Mobley sleep-eyed Bear and he was able to get one. Back then,  he thought they were uncommon and rare, but later found out they were more common than he had thought. Still, this item is very special to him and today the bear is still in his collection. What are the reactions from your parents and friends about your vintage collection? "My parents have not told me anything good or bad about it. My sister only told me that she thinks rabbits like 'Molly Cottontail' are scary because they have red eyes. In particular, I have never found them scary. My friends have not given me a concrete opinion either, only some people have told me that the Rushtons are terrifying and that they do not know how it is that I manage to sleep with all of them in my room!"


     Alam's most favorite item is Peter Cottontail by Rushton Star Creations. He says, that Peter's colors are three of his favorites, pastels blue, yellow, and pink. He loves rabbits and Peter's sick expression and adorable face is what he feels expresses him more. You run a shop selling great vintage rubber face plushies — how (and when) did that start and what have your experiences been like? Have there been many surprises? Is it sometimes hard to let go of a vintage  plush at a really great piece? "I Started in 2019 approximately, after finding several vintage stuffed animals in the flea markets. I dedicated myself to restoring and selling them. I found many and they are very similar to the Rushton. Many times it was difficult to get away from them because although they were not as expensive as the Rushtons. They are also special and were handmade by the love and talent of a Mexican housewife." 

     Describe some of your best-selling items — things you know that as soon as they hit the shop, they’ll sell straight away. "Usually they always prefer those that are in pink, also what seems more similar to what Melanie Martinez shows in her videos and photos since many users began to look for them under the influence of this singer." I asked him if he could have any Rushton for free, what would that be, and he said it would be a Rushton sleeping rabbit, because it is the cutest to him of all the Rushton creations. He believes the reasons this esthetic is so popular is not just because of a famous pop singer, but because they are easy to fall in love with and their color palette alone is a visual orgasm. Interesting way of putting it Alam! Nice! Alam's shop icecreambear10 on Instagram sells Antique-style stuffed animals with vintage rubber faces in pastel colors. You can find Alam on Instagram, TikTok, and his products at icecreambear10 and also milkbunnycult his clothing shop. You can also find his vintage rubber face plush creations in my Etsy shop!!

     Thank you so much Alam for allowing me to interview you!! Be sure to follow and check out next month's, "Interview with a Collector" Series continues!!

Thank you for reading! ~ ggsdolls 

No comments:

Post a Comment