Saturday, December 24, 2022

Interview with Rushton Barbie!

Interview with a Collector - ggsdolls blog Series

Here's my monthly series on my blog where I share some of the most amazing collectors, sellers, and creatives, that have become friends of mine and what they collect and why?

    For the month of December, my blog interview is with the gorgeous, talented, and pinkalicious collector I know, Peter Pratts also known as rushtonbarbie on Instagram.

 Photographed by Nelson Pereira @Aiiirmoon

Peter, is originally from Long Island, New York, but is currently residing between Las Vegas, Nevada and Orlando, Florida at this time. At 29 years of age, he is was born on June 8th and is also a Gemini.

    What do you do for a living?

Peter, "I'm a Social Media manager! I manage influencers, local businesses, cosmetologists and more! I can’t say I have one specific job as I do many things! I am a graphic designer, web designer, content creator, makeup artist and even influencer myself. However I’ve taken a break from beauty influencing as I don’t have the same passion for it as I used to. I’ve worked with many of the biggest brands like Mac, Sephora, Urban Decay, etc."

    When and how did you first encounter vintage rubber face stuffed animals or Rushtons, and do you collect anything else?

Peter, "I know some collectors in the community like to shame people because of this but I discovered Rushtons after watching a Melanie Martinez music video last year (2021). I literally was like WHAT is that and the research commenced. I already loved 80s/90s Barbies, however I didn’t have a collection. I also loved Kewpie tattoo art. For whatever, I just became obsessed with Rushton rubber face plushies and wanted them all.  I currently only collect Rushton plushies & some Edward Mobley squeaks. I’d like to start a Barbie collection in time."

    How do you describe your relationship with your collection; what is that magical thing that attracts you to these items and keeps you interested?

Peter, "I started collecting Rushtons at a time where I was pretty bored with life. It's in a way sad to say but makeup became less of a passion for me the more it felt like work.. Eventually LITERALLY hating it. I still do it occasionally however for a while I didn't have something that genuinely excited me. I've really come to love this hobby of mine. I hope to keep my Rustons with me through life. Collecting these dolls has pushed me to start practicing on many things I've in a sense, always wanted to! I'm learning how to sew and create clothing. I'm also learning to paint! Retouching their faces requires precision as there are a lot of fine lines…. I've always been insecure about my drawing/painting abilities. But, I'm just happy to finally be learning! I also get to create the cutest photos. I’ve always loved photography and creation. With these dolls I combine so many things I love into one. It’s quite hard to say exactly what I feel with them."


    What is it about the vintage cute kitsch aesthetic that distinguishes it from other novelties of the same era?

Peter, "For me it’s the rubber faces of Rushton plushies. They stand out and are much more expressive than other dolls in my opinion. I may sound like a snob but I don’t really care, I also like how rare they are. I think it’s cool having something quite unique that not many people own." 

 

Not Peter Rabbit, I feel like we all know what he looks like. 

This is my 30 inch self standing white bunny.

    Tell me a bit more about your collection, how it started, what your first items were, and how it has evolved?

Peter, "My collection started because of my extreme urge to own a Peter Rabbit. I realized getting one on eBay was going to be quite hard after being outbid several times. I purchased a random bunny rubber face who was missing an ear and had no brand. After receiving it I was like, 'Haha… Nice… But it’s not a damn Rushton!!' I took the plunge and splurged on a Tuffy duck (there were no Peter Rabbits online at the time) and the rest is history. I currently have 30 Rushtons and am always looking for more bunny friends."

    What has been the reaction of your family/friends/colleagues to your passion for cute kitsch?

Peter, "Honestly I don’t think anyone was surprised. A few of my best friends said they were scary. However, they expected nothing less from me (lol). I am always doing quite 'out of the norm' things so suddenly collecting these dolls was just something else to add to my list." 


    Tell me about your favorite item and why it’s so special?

Peter, "I’d have to say my favorite item is my Peter Rabbit. I love all of my other Rushtons but honestly, I was just like 'Oh! Okay I’ll get it.' Peter Rabbit was so hard for me personally to get! Mine is in pretty mint condition. I also didn’t want to get completely ripped off. The whole process took months until finding my perfect baby." 



Me as a Rushton posing with many of my babies.

 

    Is there anything else about your personal experiences that you would like to add?

 

Peter, "Through joining this community I’ve come across many people who also enjoy my particular style. It’s really pushed me to open my own shop/brand. Which I’ve been wanting to do for years now. However, it’s just been something on the back of my mind. I’ve decided to launch Madame Rushton and am so excited for what’s to come with it. I’ll be focusing on handmade original pieces. Clothing, accessories and more!"

Thank you so much Peter for the opportunity to share your story. I look forward to what your shop Madame Rushton has to offer!!

Please check out Peter's shop Madame Rushton on IG coming soon, and Peter's rushtonbarbie IG collection for his adorable content and love of Mary Rushton plushies!

Until next year folks for my next installment! Happy Collecting!

Thank you for reading! ~ ggsdolls

14 comments:

  1. Amazing interview!!!!! Peter is such an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Rose, aww, thank you so much dear. Yes, he is truly amazing and the sweetest!! Hugs, Gigi

      Delete
  2. Loved this so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello A, aww, thank you so much! Hugs, Gigi

      Delete
  3. Great interview!! Love Peter he’s iconic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear A, aww, I truly appreciate you and Yes, he's truly gifted and so awesome! hugs, Gigi

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you A! He is iconic for sure!! Hugs, Gigi

      Delete
  5. Loved doing this so much with you!!! 💕💕💕💕💕💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, ILY Peter! I truly enjoyed your interview so much dear! much love and hugs, Gigi

      Delete
  6. So gorgeous! 😍💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you A! Peter is truly gorgeous!! Hugs, Gigi

      Delete