Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Making Candy Leis!

It's that time of the school year here on Guam! So, my youngest Sara is going to be promoted to 6th grade next year and this year at the end of 5th grade, she is having her Promotional Ceremony. So, I decided not only to make her a money lei, but also a candy lei. It's actually not that hard to do.

Here's what you will need:

- Assorted Candies, chocolate, gum, etc. For Sara, I got one bag of flavored gummies individually wrapped, 20 pcs of Japanese flavored bubble gum, and 10 pieces of bubble gum with tongue tattoos. You can use other candies of your choosing, these are just her favorites. Though gum is not allowed in school.

- A box of Clear Saran Wrap. You can also get colored Saran or even use a roll of cellophane. I prefer Saran, because it easily sticks together.

- Colored plastic ribbon, one roll.

- Scissors, and a book with a bit of weight.

First, you can sort out the candies that you will use to make into a Lei. What I've done, was take about five pieces of each set of candies or gum I had to equal about 14 pieces total. Then, you can arrange them in a random order or you can use a pattern, when placing them onto the Saran. You will understand this a bit later on. Set aside for now.

Second, pull the Sara Wrap out of the box and allow to lay flat across a long counter. In my case, I used the length of my bed by width. Measure the length of the Saran to be about 55 inches long. Tear off and lay flat. You can use the book to hold down the Saran, while you arrange the candies. I place the candy and gum down in a pattern along a line with at least 1/2 inch separation between each piece.
 Third, carefully fold the saran over the candies, all the way to the other end, and repeat. When you've completely folded the saran and candies to the last of the open saran, you are just about done. After the folding, you can carefully press the saran around each of the candies, and even the empty sections to seal them. This also makes sure that each of the candy or gum is wrapped securely.

 Fourth, you will take the plastic ribbon and cut them in sections of 7 inches in length. You will need about 14 to 16 pieces. On each separated section of the lei, you will double knot the ribbon. This is more for decorative purposes and you can use different colored ribbon or even color coordinate with school or your loved one's favorite colors.

 Fifth and final step, at the end of the lei you will still add the ribbon. Now, you need to double tie the saran onto itself at the end of the necklace. For added security, I double tie the ribbon as well. Now, it will look sort of sloppy with the plastic ribbon just straight. So, what you will do next is take your scissors, and hold one edge of the Scissor's blade, be careful not to press your thumb onto the blade itself. I hold it at the side as you can see in the photo below. You will curl the ribbon, by placing the ribbon between the blade and your thumb and slowly, but carefully, allow the blade to glide along the plastic ribbon, with your thumb pressing. This will cause the ribbon curl up.

The candy lei turned out lovely! I made a few more for her friends too. It's just a simple gesture to say thank you from Sara. I hope Sara likes hers too?!
I also, got just a few things in...
 A lot of five vintage Candy House Cake toppers. I plan on repainting them and adding some things too them. More later. I also stopped by the Goody Store the past weekend and pick up more things. Like a music note fabric, Milky candies, Pink and white marshmallow hearts, a jewel box and even a heart jar!! This cute vintage German dollhouse stroller also came in. It is in 1/12 scale and I've been wanting one for ages. I can't wait to add a little baby doll inside!!


 The wheels roll and the top of the pram also shifts. This is about 1960s, I believe, possibly Modella? I will have to check. Still pretty cool and small too!

 I do hope the candy lei tutorial helps you be creative for your special little one or anyone! Have fun and thank you so much for visiting!! ~ ggsdolls

No comments:

Post a Comment