Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Lady Prince by Iwai Co.

 Continued from my last post, here. I decided to contact, Hello Iwai, a fellow collector, from Instagram, about these Twiggy style dolls. That was Sunday, of course, it was the weekend, so the response was, that he would check their catalog and get back to me on Monday. Little did I know, I was DMing the CEO of Iwai Industrial Co. Ltd. in Japan. Oh my! Mr. Hideyasu Iwai, III, is the grandson of the creator and former CEO of Iwai Co.! He shared with me that his father took over the company at the time and now him. His father/Eddie is photographed with their most popular doll, "Hi Hi" on their Instagram page. For further information their main website for Iwai Co. Ltd. or you can also click for the English site here.

I was star struck for the moment, and had to remind myself, to be humble and show respect. Mr. Iwai was very kind and shared with me on Monday, a catalog picture of the very doll, I had shown him Sunday.

He said that my dolls were in fact, real Iwai products and that these were the dolls produced and release back in 1972. From google's translation, It says, "Ladies Fashion - Lady Prince! Ladies Fashion is a refreshing friend." Due to release in May of that year. Oh my it was just amazing and to have the information of the dolls I have admired since seeing the first one back, in 2015!! The catalog ad continues on with, "Three styles created, "Gaucho", "Midi", and "Pantalon". At the time, Gaucho's were very popular in the early 1970s, these were short pants that were originally worn by Horsemen from South America, but they became a popular style for women in the 1970's - Wikipedia/Pinterest. So, my girls Amy and Twiggy have that style, made in two colors. "Midi" style were dresses or skirts that stopped at the mid-calf, also called, "Longuettes"- Wikipedia/Pinterest . This fashion is worn on the doll, I do not own in my collection, also in two colors. Last, is "Pantalon" I think it meant, "Flared Pants" style, also known as "Bell-Bottoms"- Wikipedia/Pinterest, and that is what Cynthia and Marsha from my collection are wearing. I grew up wearing these as a child of the 70s!

Quite unique how Iwai Co. choose to use the latest fashion trends of the day! Because, I'm sure those who owned a Lady Prince, were into the stylish look and probably displayed the dolls in their homes. They probably greeted you at the door on a side counter in a shop or perhaps were decorative on the work desk at the reception, of an office or restaurant... How exciting to imagine! They were only 600yen about $6 at the time.

I truly appreciate Mr. Iwai's help and giving me the information I needed on these amazing dolls. Now, to just find the gals in the Midi dresses, and my collection will be complete! The Iwai co. has many other dolls and products that are equally desired, visit their website! The ones we collectors see often are, "The Moodies" and they are also made by Iwai Co.!!

Until next time, Cynthia, Marcia, Amy and Twiggy bid you farewell/sayonara!!

Thank you for reading! ~ ggsdolls

No comments:

Post a Comment