Tuesday, January 26, 2021

My How Time Flies!

 I've been MIA as of late because of many things... One of them being the reason I became a collector, and then a seller. It has always been a joy to find amazing vintage dolls and toys, but I must admit, there are times when I just want to stop, sell everything and move on to the next adventure! And a few times as you've probably read, I have come so very close to doing just that! 

But then, I find myself falling right back into it, mostly because of a new interest, new find or just the joy of finding things, that I found in myself to be very therapeutic in some ways. But, sometimes there are moments, when you get that feeling of WTH, and oh my gosh, it just makes me cringe. I have heard a recent fellow collector having to talk about "Bullying" in the Squeak Toy community. So she did an IG video about it. It never fails, and for those of us who are avid collectors, it's like a drill and we go through it often so we just have to ride the wave until that person or persons get with the program. 

I've even resorted to creating a blog post about the way we collect and what rules one can expect when collecting and dealing with other collectors. The post was done back in 2018. Read more here... 

Now this brings me to one of those kinds of experiences... I was recently asked by a fellow collector via IG, if I could buy him something? Generally, if most buyers ask me to buy them something, it is after we've found something they've wanted and then send me the money to help them get it, etc. So, it could be a miscommunication thing or a language barrier, But this person seemed to speak very good English, or so I thought. But, at the time, I felt a bit insulted. It wasn't anything expensive, but the way he went about asking me, seemed awkward. He then said, he'd pay me back. As a seller, I'm sorry, I don't do credit or loans for my services or I'd be broke, and we had only been talking about our collection via IG for the last 2 months or so. I felt like he must think I'm some rich old broad. LOL Nope, I've just learned to be very careful in the way I spend my money and how I save. So, this recent experience, had me stop for a bit. I've gotten some oddballs in my time, but it felt like this person assumed I was a millionaire! Nope, far from it dear!

Okay, just had to vent on that and move on... I haven't shared this lovely vintage Rushton Happy Bear, I've had for several months now... Mostly, because, I was hoping to use him to adopt the Happy Bear I've long wanted. Sadly, that was not the case... So many are holding onto theirs and I don't blame them. This vintage multi-colored Rushton, I gave in to buying is from Japan. He is missing his tag, but there is the Rushton Co. markings under his chin. So he's authentic for sure. He is also quite rare because we've never seen him in a tri-color edition.

He has blue, pink, a purple tummy, ears, and tail. He is about 9 inches tall and is filled with foam and cotton batting, I believe. Some of the foam pellets fall out, because while I hold him and look him over, sometimes I find small foam pellets in his fur. He doesn't have any odors and he's quite clean and lovely actually. His face paint is a bit worn, but nothing major.


I have been told I was crazy to let him go and have thought maybe I shouldn't. But, he is not the one I actually want. I want a large size Happy Bear. One day, I hope too! Next, are a few of the items I've acquired since my last post. Yes, it looks like a lot of stuff, but these are purchases that have accumulated for the past 3 weeks of finds and a few I bought last month. This lovely vintage ceramic 'Soft Cream' coin bank. I've always been wanting a ceramic ice cream cone, and this one was at a reasonable price, so I got it through Yahoo Japan. When it arrived via DHL, it smelled of heavy cigarettes, yuck! Quick solution, wash it in dish soap. Ta-Da! Smell is gone. Whew!


I also got another 2 boxes of Charmy-chan doll miniatures to sell. They had to be on back order sadly, and now, they are sold out in most places. I also found this lovely My Toy plush Rooster, mostly to sell in my shop. He is listed there already. A grouping of vintage Saila dolls for a commission of a friend. She won each of them and at auction start price! I'm so happy for her too! In early January, I began sewing this cute Fuzcow in being. He has a squeak in his right hoove, and a tingaling sounder inside. I didn't share this one too much as I am having a hard time letting him go...LOL I didn't realize I would like the cow plush, but now I'm finding I do! Haha!



These Geo deers above, are listed in my shop now. Finds from Yahoo Japan as well. I had to get myself a set of these gold and silver tone Charmy-chan's. They don't come in the boxes we buy from shops. But, I was told they do? I've opened 5 boxes so far and never found one in them. So, I believe these special boxes are sold only to shops. I could be wrong. The Sekiguchi Bunka, nice and minty and still in her original packaging. She 'Coo's' too! In my Etsy shop!


Oh my gosh! This Chocoholic retro shelf, I found online in Japan, is the bees knees!!! I was very happy to find this one! The brand is a part of Swimmer Japan. Sadly, no longer open. But, from time to time you can find their items on Yahoo Japan. I was searching for some plates I could display in my GE cabinet, and I found these lovely Starburst tin plates for children, about 1950s. Sadly, they are too large to fit inside the cabinet with the sliding doors. But, I love the design, and they came with silver spoons, forks, and knives.



I also bought from a fellow collector and friend's shop on Etsy, Feerique. This lovely vintage Lotte Licca chan flat vinyl paper doll. She had to go to my sister in WA, then mailed back to Guam to me. LOL Especially since, EMS doesn't ship to Guam still, ugh. Below that, still trying to find a set that would work lovely in the cabinet, this set of aqua Akro Agate tea set, missing a few pieces. I was surprised they made children version of these milk style glass tea sets. So adorable and small, but still too large for my GE. Ugh! At some point, I hope I find something?!

Found this lovely Gund bunny with wired ears came in her original box too!! I was so surprised and she is so minty too. I did have her washed as she smelled a bit like moth balls. Otherwise gorgeous and her box graphics too!! I may sell her... These lovely odd plastic bunny rabbit craft faces are creepy cool to me! I will have to think of what I can make them into! I also found this lovely oil cloth vintage clown via ebay! I had him on my watch list for a week, and finally caved and bought him! He's another creepy cute keeper!!


Last, is this blue straw plush Easter bunny, made in Japan. Just adorable and will go great with my other bunnies! A lovely addition to my little collection! From the last post of my Lady Baltimore suitcase, I was able to find a replacement key via Ebay and it works too! So now, I am able to lock the suitcase. I still need to clean it down. Been too busy. We also finally had a guest booking for our Tonggan Garden Studio. It was a staycation and not tourists from off island. Still, it was nice to have someone enjoy the place! Back to the grind...

Have a great rest of the month! Stay safe and well!

Thank you for reading! ~ ggsdolls

2 comments:

  1. Hi GG!I couldnt check you blogs on time!But im here now!Im sorry to hear what is happening to you,but I say you should still be a collector and a seller!But if you want to stop and "Start a new adventure",then go ahead!What ever makes you happy!Also lovely new toys,I think ive seen that Rushton bear on ebay?Speaking of Rushtons,I was going to win an auction for a Knickerbocker Pou-tee Bear,but I didnt win,boo hoo,but I did win an auction for a jester doll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear! LOL No stress. As mentioned in my blog, I go through experiences and its always a learning curve. So either way life goes on. Thank you so much for your thoughts on that part. I'm sorry you lost out on a Rushton. These days, its really a seller's market right now for them. Sad but true. I'm glad to hear you won a Jester doll though! Congrats dear! Many hugs, Gigi

      Delete